« Home | Video Interview Updates » | Please accept our apologies.... » | Wade Burleson Interview » | Man on the Street, Episode 1 » | Welcome to sbcvideos.info! » | Break Out the Popcorn »

Westboro Church Interview - Parts 1, 2 & 3

**WARNING**

These videos use hateful language that is, at times, vulgar and potentially offensive. Please watch with care.

The Westboro Church in Topeka, Kansas is picketing the SBC. Below is an interview done with them, yesterday.





is this chic for real?!! - wow, what anger -- the thing i found interesting - was she never really answered any of the questions directly -- she would start and then begin to fume at the mouth -- man she needs to be interceeded for -- she is liven' in bondage

thanks - i look foward to the next surreal sbc annual meeting life.

francie

Kevin et al,

Thank you so much for putting yourself through this. Wow, what a painful display. The little boy broke my heart.

It is even worse than I remember. My heart breaks for her 11 children. I don't hate her. I hurt for them. I was actually in tears at one point listening to her. It really breaks my heart. Thanks John and Micah for posting this. I look forward to part 2

You guys are doing a great work to find and post this stuff. Thanks for your efforts, brothers.

She's correct that the Lord told us to obey when He gave the Law to Moses on Mt. Sinai, but we all failed at that. She isn't sure she will go to heaven because she's obviously placing her "hope" on her behavioral performance. The Roman Catholic Church never had so much pride in its own good works as these folks... I'll just trust in Jesus, my perfect righteousness, not my own ability to keep the law of God.
She's correct to then say that I am still commanded to obey, and I might not always take that as seriously as I ought, but I will never please God's call for perfect righteousness by my own effort. Good thing Christ did that for me.

I look forward to your further postings, brothers.

Hey guys,

Love what you're doing here, but can you please do me a favor? Donn't let these people control the conversation so much! They talk and talk and talk and talk and talk! I know you guys want to be respectful to them and get what it is they're saying, but at some point you've got to step in and provide some structure to the dialogue. For example, I never made the connection between these people's beef with homosexuality and how it relates to the SBC? Aren't we against homosexuality? Anyway, all I'm saying is that when you're dealing with these folks, don't be afraid to engage them and put them on the defensive. YOU should be in control of the conversation (lovingly, of course) - not them! :0)

Blessings,
Jason Epps

Does this woman think she wasn't preaching? She was preaching error, but she was definitely preaching. And by the way, I could grow my hair as long as hers in about a year. I guess she knows the exact link that God wants women's hair to be. Kevin, I don't know how you did it. I am sure you wanted to correct her at every turn. You are one patient man, my friend.

You're probably right. And yes - Kevin's patience was amazing!

Guys, Kevin's patience is always amazing. I've never seen him yell or snap once in 3 years of knowing him.

Two observations
(1) There is a seed of biterness that has defiled this woman's heart
(2) This biterness and hate has opened her to demonic spirits = only demonic spirits cry out scripture with such venom, hate and hissing.

She, the spirits, quoted more scripture than most pastors quote in a month of Sundays, yet it was with a vile heart. We must pray for God to deliver her! Surely everyone who has watched this interview understands that this lady is in torment like Liegon.
I ask you to join me in crying out for this ladies deliverance and salvation.

Spriggs8

Spriggs8,

I'm with you. I went back an sat at the curb and prayed for them as they protested again. The love of Christ is the answer!

Thanks for the reminder that we need to love and pray for these people. I was finding myself getting angry at her while I was watching it. If there has ever beem a case of possession I would have to think this is it. First she calmed down for a bit and then just started going again with all her hatred and bitterness. It seems almost impossible that this hatred could only come from herself. I pray that the all powerful and compassionate Lord Jesus would set these people free. Praise the Lord that His grace is great enough for anyone.

Let me offer a few observations:


First, I agree with pretty much everyone else that Kevin was exceptionally patient and much more gracious to her than she was to him.

Secondly, I agree with Cate that it is quite hypocritical of her to accuse Anne Graham-Lotz of preaching and yet she is the official spokesman for the Westboro Church. How is that not preaching?

Third, she needs to work on her Bible memorization skills, they were rather poor and for a lawyer, she doesn't put together a coherent arguement very well.

Fourth, as I said to Micah a few days ago, she is the best representation of Hyper-Calvinism that I have seen. And she lived up to the billing. She was the epitome of the classic definition of a Hyper-Calvinist -- denying any sort of real call for repentence to the heathen, denying the use of means to bring men to salvation, and denying that common grace has gone out into the world through the atoning work of Christ. I would like to see her in a debate with someone like James R. White, John Frame, or even John Piper (now that would be a hoot!).

Fifth, it really disturbed me that she seemed to be unsure of her own salvation, but sure that Kevin and all of the Southern Baptists were not saved.

Finally, it's interesting that she seems to forget Paul's words on no unwholesome talking coming out of one's mouth, because some of what she said was simply repulsive. And she completely defies Paul's command to speak with grace, seasoned with salt toward those who are not Christians. Yet, she harps on obedience!

Good job guys, I am sure it was tedious work (heck it was tough just to watch the thing), but I hope it will prove to be worthwhile to you. Maybe we will see them next year.

Wow, some kind of bitterness and agenr there! And she is married? That must be some household...

Sorry, but I just can't listen to/watch part II of this! I was trying to make sense of her position UNTIL she hesitated on her own salvation AND only hoped to go to heaven. My (very) loving Father has communicated salvation to me through His word... most clearly! Last, her description of God's love is highly conditional: "since gays are sinners, God doesn't love them." I was clearly disturbed by her blasphemous opinion that God doesn't love everyone. Sad, sad woman: she's now on my prayer list!

I think if we were honest with ourselves after watching this exchange between Kevin and (name), we may agree with much that she says. And, perhaps we should stop pointing our righteous fingers at her and turn them back to ourselves to see if we are equivocating on biblical issues.

Did she make claims of which catagorically the SBC is guitly, i.e. the if you build it they will come evangelism strategy? Did she say things pertaining to God's love and judgment that accurately assess the loseness in regards to soteriology by proponents of the church growth movement within the SBC?

She said things that Kevin and perhaps many of us could not argue, or would not disagree.

She claimed that the Bible is against women preachers (which one could rightfully say that what she is doing could easily be translated as just that - preaching) and asked Kevin if the SBC has a statement against it. Yes, we do. The office of pastor is reserved for men. Did Kevin know that?

Do you never question your salvation? What's wrong with her claiming that she hopes she will be saved and knows that it depends on her continual belief? Have we forgetten the waring passages of Jesus and Paul? We have 10 million people unaccounted for on SBC church member rolls. We deny a resolution on the floor from Tom Ascol for regenerate church membership, vote against a 1st VP candidate whose primary focus is a healthy church membership (Mark Dever) and have such a problem with her questioning her salvation??? Maybe she's more of a Puritan than us? But she did say "a-hole", so let's reject everything else she said.

Her sin is less a twisting of scipture than it is the lack of gentleness of her spirit. You could say, "Well, the issue then is an issue of twisting scripture if she is not obedient in all areas." But, let's take from this a challenge to be loving and gentle, but firm in our faith.

It's probably best you chose not to debate her. Her positions are (for the most part) accurate and well defended. She is spot on concerning the doublemindedness of several of our SBC platform positions.

As she quoted the scripture herself, by our words we will be judged, we will all give an account for every idle word we say. I'd have to say that God was definately working in Kevin's life to show the restraint and the patience he did.

Anonymous @ 11:14,

Call me a liberal or whatever you want... But she does not serve the Jesus I know! Jesus said to the woman caught in adultery to "GO and sin no more!" Ms. Phelps-Roper was ugly, hateful and down right evil!

I'll be the first to admit that I may not have known all SBC resolutions. I don't speak for the SBC. I speak for my relationship with God and I am leading my church through the power of the Holy Spirit. I saw no evidence of the Holy Spirit in her life!

All I can say is "Wow!"

I can't believe that you guys stood thru all of this. I can't believe that I listened to it as well! That was tough, indeed.

Ok, on the somewhat funny side. I thought it was kind of funny when the other "reporters" came and got involved. It seemed that you guys were just part of the media!

Tim

Kevin,

There was no characterization of you as a "liberal".

You say, "Ms. Phelps-Roper was ugly, hateful and down right evil!" Why didn't you tell her that?

Now you're talking about character issues. That may be the best approach to take with someone like her who may agree with us on numerous biblical issues, but has no Christian love.

For we know what the Apostle John says, "If anyone says, 'I love God,' and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen. And this commandment we have from him: whoever loves God must also love his brother" (1 John 4:20-21).

Anonymous @ 3:50,

The whole point of this interview was not to argue with her. We just wanted to hear why they believe what they believe. An arguement would have done nothing.

I have learned over the years that arguing and stooping to their level does no good and does not glorify Christ. Just look @ the SBC Convention and the pot-shots taken at Dr. Page. I will not stoop to that. I try to take the high road. I will pray for them and continue to expose Westboro for what they are. If you have ever read my blog you will see this is not the first time I have exposed their hypocrisy. I have had them on my radar for over 12 years!

You said, "The whole point of this interview was not to argue with her. We just wanted to hear why they believe what they believe."

So we can slam her in this context? Is this a safer environment for us to say, "Ms. Phelps-Roper was ugly, hateful and down right evil!"?

The purpose of quoting of you, "Ms. Phelps-Roper was ugly, hateful and down right evil!", along with the following question "Why didn't you tell her that?", was to ask you why you say you didn't go to debate her, but bring her on our court (a blog) where her character is more managable for us to assault? Perhaps her bite is not as demeaning here as it is in person.

You said, "Just look @ the SBC Convention and the pot-shots taken at Dr. Page. I will not stoop to that. I try to take the high road. I will pray for them and continue to expose Westboro for what they are."

Brother, can you see the doublemindedness in this statement and some of the comments given on this blog? Has the high road really been taken? We must all ask ourselves that question.

You said, "If you have ever read my blog you will see this is not the first time I have exposed their hypocrisy."

Perhaps this is not the first time our's (hypocrisy) has been exposed as well.

Sincerely,

A brother concernced for his own soul and hoping to be a means of grace by his love for others.

Mr. Anonymous,

Why don't you post your name. I am out here for everyone to criticize. You can nit-pic everything you want.

What kind of hypocrisy am I displaying. Jesus loved people. He didn't condemn. He said go and sin no more. Ms. Phelps-Roper and their crew is hateful! That is a fact.

Why don't you tell us who you are?

Ladies & gentlemen, meet the queen of the harpies. Is it me or does she reek of Arminianism? God can truly change hearts, but people who embrace heresy just don't change--as a rule. Rest assured, God will use her to fulfill His sovereign purposes.

Just watched the 2nd and 3rd parts. She's wrong on 99.999% of the stuff she espouses. Why doesn't she just say, "You're going to Hell and I'm glad?" I wouldn't have the patience that our dear brother had. I would've definitely put her in her place.

Someone should tell her that she used the word 'sophistical' in the wrong context too.

I haven't read all the comments here, butI wonder if anyone else sees that the entire problem is that this lady is an inerrantist. She just happens to quote different verses than "our side" uses. Nor does she recognize that she is belaboring Billy Graham (and many others) who are inerrantists, too--they just use different verses! Fred Phelps, Jim Bakker, Jimmie Swaggart, Jim Jones, Joan of Arc, Pope John Paul, Martin Luther, and most of the SBC mega-church pastors are all inerrantists; they just disagree on which verses to quote, memorize, and apply. Methodists, Lutherans, Episcopalians, Nazarenes, Presbyterians, 200 differnet kinds of Baptists--all inerrantists, subjecting themselves to the limits of imperfect words to belabor each other, ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

I agree with Shirley Phelps-Roper 100%.
All FAGS are going to HELL.

Post a Comment